Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

SAMMON FISHING FOR GOALS

Connor wants to impress as Latics fight for survival

Latics’ debut maker Conor Sammon was delighted to finally get on the pitch for his new club yesterday and says there is a lot more to come as the side get ready for a crucial few months of Barclays Premier league football.

Speaking after the disappointing 1-0 defeat against Manchester City, the Irish under 21 international could not hide his delight at seeing his first action since arriving from Kilmarnock in January: “I am delighted to finally make my debut today,” Sammon said, “ It’s been a long time coming since I arrived at the club.

“The manager has been very patient with me since I arrived and has let me settle in to get a good few weeks of training under my belt and I feel it’s definitely helped me.”

The Dublin born striker got into a great position in stoppage time and almost grabbed a deserved equalizer, but the ball just skimmed the outside of Joe Hart’s goal and Sammon said: “I haven’t actually seen the replay yet but some of the boys said it may have even hit the post - to be honest I thought it was going in when I hit it.

“I am obviously disappointed it didn’t go in as it would have been a fantastic way to end a debut, but all I can do is keep working hard and getting in the positions and hopefully the goals will come. It didn’t happen today but I’ll keep my head up and keep trying.”

Sammon said he only found out he was in the squad when the gaffer put the team sheet up pre-game and he said: “I found out today in the team meeting and I was absolutely buzzing when I saw my name on the bench as it’s what I have been working towards since I came here four weeks ago.

“I m very keen to make an impression and help the boys out in the position we are in and I’m looking forward to playing many more games.

“I feel I’m ready and it would have been a fantastic way to mark my debut if it had gone in but I’ll keep plugging away at it.”

He also praised club staff for the support they have given him and said: “They’ve been great, I’ve been working very hard on the training ground and the boys have been fantastic, they’ve been brilliant helping me get up to speed with fitness and sharpness.

“When you get an opportunity off the bench, it’s a great  chance to show what you can do and stake a claim for a permanent place, and I’m looking forward to the next game when I can hopefully I keep pushing.”

“I’m keen to come here and challenge for a first team spot and I’ll be working extremely hard to force my way in.”

Sammon believes the club have what it takes to drag themselves off the foot of the table and is ready to give his all in the fight for survival: “It’s definitely possible to stay up,” he said, “ we’ve got a confident bunch of lads here at the club and we take it one game at a time.
“I’m very confident I can help the team and provide some goals, and if I can do that I’ll be delighted. I’m also very focused on the job in hand and I am eager to help the team progress up the league table.

“After coming on today I’ll be looking to do the same again in future games and maybe even push for a start in a couple of weeks time.

“The next game is Birmingham at home and I can’t wait for that to come around, it will be a crucial game for the club, as they all are at this stage, and I’ll be giving my all to get us out of trouble.

“We definitely have enough quality and fight in this side and I believe we can prove that by turning our good performances into positive results.”


No comments:

Post a Comment