Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

ITS ALL STILL A BLUR SAYS MACCA


Teenage goal hero Callum McManaman was delighted by his full debut performance  at Hull City, but admitted he could not remember much about his second half wonder strike.

The 19-year-old Scouser put in a man-of-the-match performance on Saturday after being handed his first start in Latics’ side, but later said: “I don’t even remember the goal, it’s all just a blur and hasn’t even sunk in yet.”

Knowsley born McManaman beat two players to curl a magnificent strike past the goalkeeper and said: “I usually play on the wing but I was happy to play anywhere today to get my first start in such a big game.”

The young striker said he only knew about his inclusion in the side when the gaffer announced the team: “The first I knew about it was when the gaffer read the team out at 1.30 today,” he said, “ I was made up to be in the starting line up - especially in such a big competition as the FA Cup.”

A number of youngsters were given the opportunity to impress the gaffer as he made nine changes to the side and McManaman said: “You can see the gaffer likes to give the younger lads a run out, so it does give you hope.

“We have all done well this season in the reserves, so it’s good that we were given the chance today.”

He also said he had been helped immensely by the older members of the first team, which had prepared him for his first Latics start: “The older and more experienced lads were great,” he said, “they helped me and gave me advice before the game.

 “That gave me a lot more confidence, that’s just what you need when it’s your first match.”

Latics’ fans will now hope there is more to come after such an impressive display and McManaman said: “I was thankful for the chance the gaffer gave me today. I hope this is just the start.”





No comments:

Post a Comment